Sunday, June 7, 2009

Making A Decision

Isn't that the way anything gets done? From laundry to war, someone somewhere makes a decision that starts a ball rolling to get something accomplished. Before the decision is made, a world of options lead to limitless outcomes. I once heard: "A wise man is he who can see the end in the beginning." I think I'm getting better at following choices through to their logical conclusion, but I would never presume to don the mantle of a "wise man." What I can do very well is look back and trace how my decisions have lead me to my current path, and be guided by what I learn in making future choices.


Growing up in Walla Walla, Washington, I wasn't taught to make decisions. For that matter, independent thinking was discouraged. My parents were Christian fundamentalists, and I was taught not to question or go against what I was told to do. My first real important decision came at the age of 17. That was when I heard about, and investigated the Baha'i Faith with my best friend, David Simmons.

I found a diverse and loving community that encouraged "independent investigation of truth." I rejoiced to hear (after many fire-and-brimstone sermons to the contrary) that there was no literal heaven or hell. My provincial outlook was broadened to a global horizon. I learned about the equality of men and women, and the eliminiation of prejudices of all kinds. I agreed that all religions are one in essence, and that they have been the catalysts for progress in an ever-advancing civilization. I made a decision to join the Baha'i Faith, and it was absolutely life-changing!

No comments:

Post a Comment